How to Report Problems



During Parish Office hours please contact the Clerk at 01278 733779. At other time please contact any Parish Councillor: click here for telephone numbers.

Residents requiring flood-related support should contact Sedgemoor District Council on 0845 408 2546, local rate 01278 435435 or email:
The Sedgemoor Direct contact centre operates Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm and is closed on bank holidays.

An out of hours emergency telephone line is available for Sedgemoor residents on 0800 917 6520. Where there is an emergency or 'threat to life' please call 999. For general advice from Avon and Somerset Police call 101.

Potholes and other road defects

Potholes and other defects on roads, cycle paths and pavements can be reported to Somerset County Council Highways through their website here, or:
by telephone: 0300 123 2224 or 01823 273593
by e-mail to
by letter to Somerset County Council Highways Office, Dunball Industrial Estate, Bridgwater, TA6 4TP

Alternatively, report it via – it is automatically forwarded to the County Council.

You can also use either method to contact them about flooded roads, gullies, blocked drains, problems with drain and manhole covers or to report mud on the road etc. Where there is an immediate risk of an accident please also contact the police.

Street Lights

Please report faults the Parish Office during opening hours or contact the Fault Line (SSE Contracting Ltd) on telephone number: 0845 601 0939 – they are available from Monday to Friday: 8am – 5pm. You will need

  • the number on the street light column (usually a black number on a white square)
  • The location of the street light including the road name and area/postcode

You can also report it direct – click here and click on “Report Now”

For out of hours emergency issues relating to street lights, telephone 0845 795 9639 where there is possible danger such as:

  • damaged/vandalised equipment
  • exposed wires
  • loose columns in the ground
  • failures of large areas of lighting (such as all lights on a major road/roundabout)

Public Footpaths

Somerset County Council is primarily responsible for matters relating to public footpaths. You can report an issue with a path either here: Report now link or via the Explore Somerset map  (click the + button at the bottom left).

Alternatively you can contact the the Parish’s Paths Liaison Officer via the Parish Office to report an issue. Please be precise with the location of the problem so that he can investigate it. The Parish Office can be contacted by phone (733779, office hours 10am-1pm) or by e-mail here


To report fly-tipping please contact the Parish Office and/or Clean Surroundings at Sedgemoor District Council on 0845 408 2543 or 01278 435435 or e-mail to Alternatively report via who will automatically pass on the report to Sedgemoor.

If you discover fly tipped waste, please follow these simple steps:

  • * Do not touch: fly tipped waste may be dangerous, as it can contain syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals or other hazardous substances.
  • * Visually inspect it: try to determine what it is and how much there is.
  • * Note its exact location and whether it is in or near water.
  • * Do not disturb the site: there may be evidence that could identify and convict the culprits.
  • * While staying safe, note how many people were involved; the day, date and time it occurred; and the make, colour and registration of any vehicles involved.


Sedgemoor District Council is responsible for collecting stray dogs. You can report lost and found dogs to the Dog Warden on 01278 435294 during office hours. At other times please call 0800 917 6520.

The Dog Warden is also responsible for incidents of dog fouling. To make a complaint about dog fouling please contact the Dog Warden as above. You can also get information and there is a link to report it online at>-/Dog-Fouling or by e-mail to

Please also contact the Parish Office for assistance and advice. However realistically there is little the Parish Council can do to deter inconsiderate residents who do not clean up after their dogs. The Parish Council will pursue a complaint with the Dog Warden (who has the power to prosecute or issue a fine) but this needs a formal witness statement or adequate evidence of the offence such as a photo.